Joyce Mzolo dreams of attending a Justin Bieber concert
Joyce is 15-years old and has lived with her foster parents, Pam and Colin Boakes since she was born. She is one of 17 children currently in the care of this couple, who have brought up 360 children, placed in their care, for the past 30 years. Those who know Joyce describe her as a loving, caring, compassionate, uncomplaining and undemanding child. She does not let her "Brittle Bone Disease"
- a life threatening condition she was born with, hold her back - even though she has never been able to walk. Like millions of teenagers the world over, Joyce is a BELIEBER - yes, she LOVES Justin Bieber!! Because she is such a pleasant and undemanding child, a group of people have decided to make her biggest dream come true. They've been able to secure VIP tickets to the concert in Soweto in May, as well as accommodation, bed and breakfast for this night. Now, they just need to tie up the matter of transport from Durban and here in Gauteng - and Joyce would be able to see her idol live on stage ... the fulfillment of a dream for a child, who asks so little and gives so much Joy ...
WATCH THIS STORY: This Sunday on "Vat my Hand" at 8:55 and 17:55 sponsored by Builders Warehouse on KykNet DSTV Channel 144
Thirty years ago, after their own children had grown up and left them with “an empty nest”, Pam Boakes and her husband Colin decided to open their home in middle-class Boughton, Pietermaritzburg, to abandoned and homeless children.
Together they have lovingly fostered more than 360 children over the past 26 years.
Whilst others are enjoying the fruits of retirement, the Boakes’ at the age of 70 and 75 are currently fostering 17 children ranging in age from 6 months to 18 years of age in their home, with no governmental assistance.
One child in their care is Joyce Mzolo, lovingly known as Joybells, who suffers from Brittle Bone Disease.
Joybells (now 15) was born with this life threatening disease, which has resulted in many bone fractures, and has never been able to walk.
According to Pam Boake, Joy was placed with them through the Welfare Department when she was born. “She is such a loving, caring, compassionate, uncomplaining and undemanding child. She makes you want to do things for her. We have a strong bond and she is loved by everyone who meets her. We are privileged to look after her”, says Pam Boake.
When the Reach for a Dream Foundation heard about Joyce they visited her and her un-demanding dream was a platter of Prawns which the Reach for a Dream Foundation and a local Pietermaritzburg Estate Agent made a reality in October 2008.
Joybells’ favourite musician is Justin Bieber and when she heard about his Concert she expressed that that is and has been her biggest Dream to attend a Justin Bieber Concert.
I made contact with Craig from Grand Stand Events and he generously sponsored Joybelle and Mother Pam with 2 (two) VIP Tickets to the Justin Bieber Concert scheduled for the 12th of May 2013 at Soccer City in Johannesburg.
When I visited Joybells on Thursday and informed her about the generous sponsorship, she burst into laughs, giggles and tears of joy.
As Joybells and the Boake Family lives in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu Natal we found that there was still a need for the following:
• 2 Return Flights from either Pietermaritzburg or Durban to Johannesburg on the 12th of May 2013
• Transfer from Airport to place of accommodation
• Transfer from and to Soccer City from place of accommodation
• Transfer to Airport from place of Accommodation
The Mannah Guest Lodge in Pomona Rd has generously sponsored Accommodation, Dinner and Breakfast for both Joybells and Mother Pam, thus leaving us with 2 items remaining namely the 2 return flights and a return transfer to and from Soccer City.
Any assistance in making Joybells dream come true would be highly appreciated. Should you require any further information, please do not hesitate to contact me.
Website designed by Grizzly Designs | Sign In